Have you been experiencing incessant hair fall? Or you have been noticing the thinning of your hair? Or do you suffer from alopecia and other hair issues that cause hair fall?
The best and long-lasting solution to these hair issues is a hair transplant. Besides restoring the lost texture, thickness, and overall look of your hair, a hair transplant can also offer you the look of a fuller head of hair.
However, just like any other treatment, you must take some precautions after a hair transplant, in addition to the advised pre hair transplant care. Let us read on below to find out more about the pre and post hair transplant care that one must take.
Table of Contents
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
1. Who should opt for hair transplantation?
A hair transplant procedure is excellent for people between the ages of 21 to 60 years. The procedure is quite personalized and depends on various factors including the patient’s age, scalp condition, overall health, texture and density of hair, etc.
A person who experiences the following symptoms and conditions should ideally opt for hair transplantation:-
- Men who have been diagnosed with male pattern baldness
- Women who experience hair fall and thinning hair
- Someone who has suffered from loss of hair due to a scalp or burn injury
- A different hair condition that is compliant with a hair transplantation procedure
- Someone who has a well-defined area or pattern of baldness on the crown, along with healthy hair growth and coverage along the sides.
Furthermore, one must only opt for hair transplant surgery if they meet the following requirements:-
- They have a stable donor area
- They have adequate donor hair, which will suffice for the transplant and the future
2. Pre-Operative Instructions
When going for a hair transplant procedure, it is important to take the proper pre hair transplant care. This will ensure that the transplant goes smoothly, and the patient does not feel any discomfort during the procedure.
Ten days prior to the surgery, one must take the following hair transplant care:-
- It is advisable to avoid consuming any aspirin, Advil, anti-inflammatory medicines, or painkillers, in addition to vitamins, especially Vitamin B and E, blood thinners, and herbal medications
- The patient must also avoid consuming any steroids and applying cortisone creams since they can increase the risk of bleeding during the surgery
- Consumption of alcohol and smoking is also prohibited during this time
A day before the surgery, the hair transplant care includes the following instructions:-
- The patient must get adequate sleep
- It is essential to avoid applying or using any hair spray, gel or other styling products
- It is also important to consume any medications prescribed by the doctor
On the day of the surgery, the patient must take their prescribed medicines before reaching the clinic. They must also wear an old shirt during the procedure since it will most likely be cut off after the procedure. It is advisable to carry a button-up shirt that they can wear after the transplant.
Other instructions that one must follow on the day of the hair transplant are as follows:-
- Wash the scalp with a mild shampoo
- Have a light breakfast and avoid too much caffeine
- Avoid wearing any wig, hair accessories, or hair styling products
- Avoid exercising, running, jogging, or indulging in any strenuous activity
The doctor will begin the hair transplant by administering anesthesia in the areas where the patient is experiencing hair loss and baldness. If it is a Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE), the doctor will extract individual hair follicles from the healthy areas of the scalp and transplant them in the bald spots. This transplant usually takes multiple sessions, each of two to four hours.
On the other hand, in the case of a Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT), the doctor will remove a few inches of the skin graft from the donor area, cut them into small sections, and extract hair follicles from these sections. They will then plant these follicles into the tiny incisions on the recipient area, which takes around 4 to 6 hours to complete.
3. Post-Operative Instructions
As is with any other surgical procedure, it is important to maintain proper care after hair transplant surgery, in addition to taking all the necessary precautions after hair transplant. Post hair transplant, you are most likely to have some tenderness in the scalp for a few days. The doctor will typically prescribe pain medications, in addition to antibiotic medicines and anti-inflammatory pills. It is also important to not mess with the recipient area and take the medications for proper post hair transplant care.
To maintain a clean incision line and surgical area, the patient will have to wear bandages for at least a day after the procedure and keep it overnight. On the day after the transplant, take the bandage or head-wrap off with scissors to avoid swelling.
Two days after the procedure, the post hair transplant care includes a bath and cleaning of the donor area. On this day, the patient must pour some water over the recipient as well as the donor area a few times to clean it. However, it is essential to avoid using a towel to dry the hair.
After the second day, the patient must wash their recipient area twice every day, using a mild, antimicrobial shampoo and conditioner. This is an important step in post hair transplant care and will ensure that the scalp flakes and crust get removed and does not cause any infection.
Other important after hair transplant care instructions include the following:-
- Avoid the consumption of alcohol, smoking, and pain medications
- Do not exercise or engage in any strenuous activities for at least a couple of weeks after the procedure
- Apply the prescribed oral medications on a timely basis.
You must also take precautions after hair transplant when it comes to sleeping. To keep the transplant intact and safe, it is advisable to keep the head in an elevated position while sleeping. For this, the patient can place several pillows or a towel beneath their head. Furthermore, only the shampoo, conditioner, and lotion prescribed by the doctor should be used for at least two weeks post hair transplant. Additionally, exposure to heat and the sun should be avoided for three weeks after the hair transplant procedure. It is also not considered safe to indulge in swimming during this period.
With the introduction of modern techniques and technology, hair transplant has undergone a lot of evolution in the past few years. In addition to the traditional Follicular Unit Extraction and the Follicular Unit Transplantation methods, other new methods of hair transplant have also been introduced.
However, there are a set of hair transplant care and instructions that one must follow for achieving their desired results from the procedure. In addition to care after hair transplant, certain precautions must also be taken before the surgery. At Desmoderm, you will get a detailed consultation about pre and post hair treatment care from highly experienced doctors at the best prices.