Hair loss can be a very disturbing issue to deal with and cause immense social embarrassment. There are a variety of treatments available today to combat hair loss and improve receding hairlines. Here we compare two such treatments -Mesotherapy vs PRP for hair loss. Your dermatologist will suggest the right choice of treatment depending on your individual condition
Table of Contents:
Feel free to skip ahead if one topic catches your eye:
- How does Mesotherapy work for Hair Loss?
- How does PRP work for Hair Loss?
- Mesotherapy Vs PRP: Which is better for Hair Loss?
1. How does mesotherapy work for hair loss?
- Mesotherapy for hair loss is a non-surgical hair loss treatment procedure.
- It involves giving hair medications into the scalp locally
- Mesotherapy for hair loss is a treatment that uses / derma rollers or derma pen or micro scalp injections that help to nourish the scalp and help with the existing hair loss.
- It is a process where almost painless shots of nutrient boosters are given to the scalp and takes about 15 to 30 minutes
- A nutrient-rich solution containing nutrition boosters for the hair is injected into the mesoderm or the middle layer of the skin. This method in mesotherapy for hair growth develops hair volume
- These nutritive substances are absorbed into the scalp thereby strengthening the hair and prevent hair fall
- Mesotherapy for hair loss is a highly specific and targeted treatment that uses biologically active principles to provide nutrient to the scalp and the hair
- The substances used in mesotherapy for hair loss include specific hair vitamins, hair minerals, and DHT( dihydrotestosterone) blockers.
- Substances such as finasteride, buflomedil, etc are also used in combination with other ingredients.
- DHT blockers are substances that stop the activity of DHT that is responsible for hair thinning.
- The mesotherapy for hair loss uses injections that act on the scalp and do not infuse into the system
- Over a course of time, the injected substances act in a snowballing manner to bring about beneficial effects. This is how mesotherapy for hair growth works
- It stimulates the body’s natural restorative mechanisms
- Mesotherapy for hair loss works well for people with male pattern hair loss, and hair loss due to deficiencies, long term pollution exposure, changes in the weather, etc
- People with hair thinning, dandruff hair loss in patches such as in alopecia, dandruff, and baldness benefit from mesotherapy for hair loss
- Mesotherapy fights hair loss by reducing inflammation, increasing blood circulation to the hair follicles, and promoting the growth of thicker hair
- The boosters used in mesotherapy promote the follicular function as well as nurture more hair to enter the growing phase
- The mesotherapy side effects include redness, swelling and bruising which are self limiting
2. How does PRP for hair loss work?
- PRP for hair loss treatment is a procedure that also involves scalp injections
- The person’s own blood is taken and the platelet-rich plasma portion is isolated in specially designed test tubes, using a special machine called the centrifuge
- The isolated platelet-rich plasma is then administered into the scalp after numbing the area to be treated. This is how PRP treatment for hair loss works.
- Each session takes about 15 minutes ( except the time taken for numbing) and generally 3-4 sessions 1 month apart are required.
- Repeat and booster sessions may be needed every 4 to 6 months to maintain the beneficial effects of the treatment
- Platelets are known to promote cell growth in the body as they are rich in growth factors- substances that enhance cell multiplication
- Now advanced prp in the form of growth factor concentrates is also available
- The PRP injections bring about a surge of blood to the follicles that promote hair growth
- The PRP injection for hair loss treatment increases the number of a special group of cells called the dermal papilla cells that are known to play a crucial role in the growth of hair
- The platelets thus obtained are given using a process called dermal micro-needling.
- PRP injection for hair loss is very effective for people struggling with androgenetic alopecia (male pattern baldness)
- When combined with anti-androgenic agents such as minoxidil and finasteride, PRP for hair loss is found to show improvements.
- PRP promotes and reactivates the hair follicles bringing more hair to the growing phase resulting in hair growth
- If you are someone with recent hair loss, then PRP treatment may be the right choice for you.
- The PRP requires active hair follicles and so if you are experiencing hair loss for not a long time now, PRP will work well for you.
- If you have been diagnosed with platelet dysfunction, bleeding disorders, or any scalp inflammation, PRP cannot be done.
- PRP hair treatment cost in Delhi is about Rs 15000 per session
- Read on to find out more: https://www.desmoderm.in/blogs/prp-for-hair-loss/
3. Mesotherapy vs PRP: which is better for hair loss?
|Comparison criteria||Mesotherapy||PRP for hair loss|
|Mode of administration||Dermal micro needling to the scalp||Local dermal injections|
|Agents used||A combination of growth boosters, DHA blockers, and nutrients are used||Platelet-rich plasma isolated from patient’s own blood|
|Mode of action and benefits||Improves blood circulation to the scalpBoosts the scalp with necessary hair growth vitamins, minerals, etc. Blocks the action of DHA that causes excessive testosterone levels and thereby hair thinning and hair loss||The platelet-rich plasma contains growth factors that promote new hair growthPlatelets have the property to bring about new cell regeneration and the rejuvenation of the hair folliclesPRP causes an abundance of blood supply to the follicles stimulating their functionPRP keeps the follicles alive and activeProlongs the anagen or the growth phase of the hair cycleCauses more hairs to move from the telogen or the resting phase to the anagen phaseIncreases and improves hair volumeEnhances the hair texture|
|Side effects||RednessPainSwellingBruising||Mild painItchingSlight pinpoint bleedingSkin discoloration|
|Who cant take it?||PregnancyLactationCertain cardiac diseasesCancerous conditionsIf you are taking any blood-thinning or anticoagulant medicationsA history of bleeding disordersAllergy to any of the ingredients usedActive acneSteroid medication||Active infectionNo active folliclesCancer Bleeding disordersLow platelet countChronic or active infectionLiver diseaseHistory of cancerSmoking or drinkingRecent fever or illnessLow HemoglobinAllergies|
|Cost of treatment||Mesotherapy for hair costs about Rs 4000- Rs 8000 per session||Rs 12 – Rs 20000 per session|
|Factors affecting the cost||Number of sessions required The extent of the treatment area Ingredients used||Number of sessions required, Type of prp kits used The reputation of the clinic|
|Nature of results||12 months||12 months|
|Recovery||1-2 days||0-1 days|
|Post care||Avoid heavy exerciseNo sun exposure for 48 hrsCool compress for painAvoid excessive salt intake and alcohol for one week||Drink enough waterAvoid workouts for 1 dayDo not use ice to reduce swelling. That’s how it worksTake anti-inflammatory medicines if prescribed|
Dr. Ranjan Upadhyay at Desmoderm is the best dermatologist in South Delhi. He is also an aesthetic dermatologist and trichologist of international repute. He carries about 14 years of varied experience. You can expect quality and an international standard of care and we offer a full range of cosmetic and aesthetic services to suit your needs.